The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) and the province is warning Simcoe County of bears returning from hibernation with tips on preventing a visit to your neighbourhood.
Local residents are encouraged to check the area around their homes and remove items known to attract bears.
April always brings with it increased bear sightings in urban areas as their scavenge for food – as their own natural supply is low – in garbage cans and bird feeders.
Tips for preventing bears from showing up in your neighbourhood, include:
- Storing garbage in waste containers with tight-fitting lids
- Putting out garbage only on the morning of pickup
- Filling bird feeders, including seed, suet and nectar, only during the winter when bears are hibernating
- Cleaning food residue and grease from outdoor barbecue grills after each use
- Keeping pet food indoors.
Although the presence of a bear in your area is not always a threat; if you do spot aggressive behaviour being exhibited by one, just call 911.
Local residents can also call the Bear Wise reporting line from April 1 – November 30 at 1-866-514-2327 for tips and best practices.
For information, visit: www.ontario.ca/page/prevent-bear-encounters-bear-wise